Power Mac G4 — Mbox 2 Requirements
With Pro Tools LE 6.8.1 for Mac OS X
Note: The best performance with Mac OS X and Mbox 2 is achieved by using fast dual processor Macs. Slower single processor Macs will work with Mbox 2, but at a reduced track and/or plug-in count.
Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 for Mac OS X 10.4 for Intel-based Macs. Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 Information. For information about Pro Tools LE 7.1.1, including Upgrades and Updates, please see the following pages. A Digi 002 and Mbox 2 cannot be used together on the same computer at the same time. 2 Mbox 2 units cannot be used on the same computer. Digi 002 faders cannot be used with any other system. Pro Tools 6 does not work in the OS 9 'Classic Mode'. You must choose Mac OS X as your Startup Disk. Additional Information.
Supported Power Mac G4 Computers:
Dual G4 Processor Models
|Dual 867 MHz Power Mac G4 MDD|
|Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4 QS|
|Dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD|
|Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD|
|Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800|
|Dual 1.42 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800|
Single G4 Processor Models
|933 MHz Power Mac G4 QS|
|1 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800|
|1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 MDD|
QS = 'Quicksilver' models from 2001-2002
MDD = 'Mirrored Drive Doors' models from 2002
FW800 = FireWire 800 models from 2003
Not Tested or Recommended:
- Single 867 MHz Power Mac G4 and lower
- Dual 800 MHz Power Mac G4 and lower
- For more information on Apple computer models and specifications, see the AppleSpec page on Apple's website
- Other resources: www.everymac.com and www.mactracker.ca
Additional Requirements & Known Issues
- Pro Tools LE 6.8.1 is officially supported on Mac OS 10.3.8 & 10.3.9 (Panther) and Mac OS 10.4.2 (Tiger)
iLok Authorized Plug-Ins
Although not required with Pro Tools installation, an iLok USB Hardware Key may be required for installation of some plug-ins and optional software applications.
Control Surfaces & MIDI Interfaces
Dual Monitor AGP Graphics Cards
All single or dual monitor cards which ship as standard equipment with qualified Apple Power Mac G4 models at the top of this page are supported with Pro Tools 6.9.
Hard Drives — Audio Storage Requirements
Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the internal startup drive, a separate dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count.
Audio Storage Requirements for Record and Playback:
Firewire Hard Drives
- For best results, follow the guidelines on the FireWire Drive Requirements
SCSI HBA Card for SCSI Drives (optional)
Maximum Performance Guidelines
- Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported
- A separate internal or external dedicated audio drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count
Pro Tools Does Not Support Sleep Mode
In the Macintosh System Preferences, launch Energy Saver, click the Sleep tab, and disable all Sleep features. Set 'Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive' to Never. Do not manually put your computer to sleep when running Pro Tools.
Digidesign Mbox 2 Software Installer
Known Incompatibilities & Issues
Avid Mbox Driver Mac
- The Movie Offset feature affects both the QT Movie output to DV and the Onscreen movie
- If users want to use Japanese fonts in their sessions, they will not be able to use HFS (standard) drives – only HFS+ formatted drives
- Sometimes when opening a session that was based on a PT 3.2 format session, the following error may occur when Restoring IO paths: Time type mismatch occurred in 'Time_Typed.cpp' line 370. A reboot may be necessary if this occurs
- System instabilities and performance issues can occur when using MIDI control surfaces in conjunction with Pro Tools 6 and 3rd party MIDI interfaces. For best multiport MIDI performance, we recommend using Digidesign's MIDI I/O.
- Pro Tools LE core systems cannot be combined, and multiple units are not supported. For instance:
- A Digi 002 and Mbox 2 cannot be used together on the same computer at the same time.
- 2 Mbox 2 units cannot be used on the same computer.
- Digi 002 faders cannot be used with any other system.
- Pro Tools 6 does not work in the OS 9 'Classic Mode'. You must choose Mac OS X as your Startup Disk.
Digidesign Mbox 2 Driver Download