Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is a remastered edition of the real-time strategy video game called Age of Empires II which was released back in 1999. The Definitive Edition offers an original AoE II experience enriched with multiple features and additions that make the game much more enjoyable to play in the modern times, as players are now more demanding than they were when AoE II was originally released. These include the 4K support, an in-game zoom option, a set of useful built-in mods and mod support, online matchmaking features, and more. The game was developed by Forgotten Empires, Wicked Witch Software, and Tantalus Media, and it’s released in November 2019 by Xbox Game Studios.
The Enhanced Graphics Pack increases Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition to ultra-high fidelity resolution. Before you attempt to install, please make sure that your system requirements meet or exceed the minimum specs for this content. A look at Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition gameplay in 4K from Gamescom 2019.Subscribe to IGN for more!http://www.youtube.com/user/IGNentertainment?subco.
The game does not have a strict story, but it comes with several different campaigns, and each of them focuses on a different civilization. Campaigns consist of a series of scenarios that are based on historical or mythical events, and they also feature cinematic cutscenes. You will be able to follow Celts, Mongols, Huns, Aztecs, and more, including four completely new civilizations that were made exclusive to the Definitive Edition as a part of The Last Khans content expansion.
The core gameplay in Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition didn’t change too much when compared to the original AoE II game. It’s still a good old real-time strategy game, where you need to send workers to gather resources, build your base, recruit an army, make research, and use the technological advantage to surprise and wipe out your enemies.
There are, however, certain changes and improvements, that especially the returning players should be aware of. These include balance changes based on the community feedback, simultaneous research and unit build queues, and an ability to auto-reset fish traps. There are also certain useful built-in mods available out-of-the-box, such as the grid mode and small tress, which is very convenient.
It’s also worth mentioning an introduction of a new AI, which, unlike the old one, does not resort to simple cheating. Now it’s fair and just plays smart, providing a much greater challenge for those who enjoy a single-player experience or those who wish to improve their skills before trying to play against other people online.
The game offers single-player scenarios and campaigns, as well as multiplayer skirmishes that can be competitively played online with other people. Definitive Edition comes with some important improvements in multiplayer, namely matchmaking features, integrated leaderboard and ladder, and support for crossplay between Steam and the Microsoft Store, allowing players to play together no matter the platform.
According to the pre-release reviews, the Definitive Edition of Age of Empires 2 is going to meet or even exceed critics’ expectations. Reviewers mostly agreed that the strongest point of the Definitive Edition is the introduction of certain new features and quality of life additions without sacrificing the spirit of the original game. This means it is still a good old AoE II game, but it much better fits the modern times now.
Rediscover the iconic real-time strategy game in its full glory with Definitive Edition
Enjoy the smooth high-quality graphics and animations as they were recreated from the ground up to support full 4K resolution
Use the zoom function to switch the view based on the amount of precision you currently need
Play 4 completely new civilizations and conquer 3 brand-new campaigns
Boost your morale with an enhanced version of the fully remastered soundtrack
Whokeys.com is a reliable and competitive online retail store that provides a wide variety of popular game products on all platforms, all kinds of gift cards and other software products. Purchase our products that we got from formal sources. Furthermore, Whokeys will keep updating our stock with everything you need.
- Earn Up to USD 1.56
|Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition|
|Publisher(s)||Xbox Game Studios|
|Series||Age of Empires|
|Release||November 14, 2019|
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is a real-time strategy video game developed by Forgotten Empires and published by Xbox Game Studios. It is a remaster of the original game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the original. It features significantly improved visuals, supports 4K resolution, and 'The Last Khans', an expansion that adds four new civilizations based on Central Asia and Eastern Europe, and four new campaigns. It includes all previous expansions from the original and HD Edition. It was released on November 14, 2019.
Age Of Empires Ii Definitive Edition Japanese
The core gameplay elements are shared heavily with the original but Definitive Edition builds upon it. The remaster includes new 4K graphics, new improved visuals for troops and buildings, the ability to zoom in and further out and a new spectator mode. It features a new campaign called The Last Khans and includes four new civilizations: Bulgarians, Cumans, Lithuanians and Tatars. Four new campaigns were added for the new civilisations: Ivaylo, Kotyan Khan, Tamerlane and Pachacuti which is about the Inca civilisation and replaces El Dorado from the HD Edition (Lithuanians do not appear as a playable civilization in any campaign; however, they represent Poles in the Ivaylo campaign). It includes all previous expansions from the original (The Conquerors) and HD edition (The Forgotten, The African Kingdoms, Rise of the Rajas).
Players can choose between the original AI, the updated HD Edition AI that was added alongside the HD Edition of the game, and a newer AI developed for the Definitive Edition. The original AI had to cheat to be competitive, while the new AI is advanced enough to not require any cheating. When the old and new AIs were pitted against each other in a test, the new one easily defeated the old one. Unit pathfinding is also supposedly improved upon. Players can shift-queue villager tasks.Farms now have the option to be replenished automatically. A further expansion pack, Lords of the West, was announced on December 15, 2020 and is due for release on January 26, 2021. The Lords of the West will introduce two further civilisations, the Burgundians and the Sicilians, as well as three new campaigns, featuring Edward Longshanks, the Dukes of Burgundy and the Hautevilles.
On August 21, 2017 at Gamescom, Microsoft announced Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition was in development by Forgotten Empires, Tantalus Media and Wicked Witch Software. On June 9, 2019, Microsoft revealed the gameplay trailer at Xbox E3 2019. It released on the Xbox Game Pass in addition to Steam and the Windows Store on November 14, 2019.
|PC Gamer (UK)||78/100|
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition received 'generally favorable' reviews according to review aggregator Metacritic with a score of 84/100 from 32 reviews.Windows Central's Cale Hunt praised the improved artwork, animations and quality of life additions but criticized the AIpath finding and pointed out a need for further balancing.
- ^Additional work by Tantalus Media and Wicked Witch
- ^ abWright, Steve (June 19, 2019). 'Aussie devs Wicked Witch, Tantalus working on Age of Empires 2'. Stevivor. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- ^ abcdIsgreen, Adam; Empires, Franchise Creative Director for Age of (June 9, 2019). 'E3 2019: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Launching Fall 2019, Beta Coming Soon'. Xbox Wire. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- ^Moore, Ewan (August 19, 2019). 'Age Of Empires 2: Definitive Edition Release Date Confirmed'. UNILAD. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- ^'Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition will release this fall'. PCGamesN. Retrieved September 1, 2019.
- ^ abJune 14, Marshall Honorof |; Pm, 2019 05:50. 'Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Lives Up to Its Name at E3 2019'. www.laptopmag.com. Retrieved September 1, 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- ^White, Sam (November 12, 2019). 'Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition review – reverent treatment'. pcgamesn.com. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- ^Shea, Brian. 'How Age Of Empires II: Definitive Edition Hopes It Is Living Up To Its Name'. Game Informer. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
- ^Calvin, Alex. 'Why Microsoft is investing so heavily in the Age of Empires series'. PC Games Insider. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- ^Ray, Bodhisatwa (November 21, 2019). 'Age of Empires II Definitive Edition Review: Price in India and review'. BGR India.
- ^'Review: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition'. Hardcore Gamer. December 12, 2019.
- ^'Pre-Order Age of Empires II: DE – Lords of the West, coming January 26th!' (in Lithuanian). Forgotten Empires. December 15, 2020. Retrieved December 20, 2020.
- ^Knezevic, Kevin (August 21, 2017). 'Age Of Empires 2 And 3 Remasters Announced'. GameSpot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- ^Giret, Laurent (August 19, 2019). 'Age of Empires: DE launches on Steam with cross play support, Age of Empires II DE also coming on November 14'. OnMSFT.com. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- ^'Pre-purchase Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam'. store.steampowered.com. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- ^ ab'Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition for PC Reviews'. Metacritic. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- ^Brown, Fraser (November 12, 2019). 'Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition review'. PC Gamer. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- ^'Review — Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is a remake true to its past'. Windows Central. November 12, 2019. Retrieved November 14, 2019.